What is a release country?

Staffan Vilcans
Over at https://musicbrainz.org/edit/34494044 there is a discussion going on about how to determine the release country.
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Release_Country don't give much help as it only says "the country in which an album was released".

Re: What is a release country?

Maurits Meulenbelt-2
For digital releases, Worldwide is usually the right release country (unless there are strong restrictions limiting downloads to only a few countries), because there is usually one release date for the worldwide release. Physical releases usually have different release dates in different countries, so they need different release events anyway. The discussion about copyright in the edit notes doesn't strike me as relevant.

Op 12-8-2015 om 12:01 schreef Staffan:
Over at https://musicbrainz.org/edit/34494044 there is a discussion going on about how to determine the release country.
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Release_Country don't give much help as it only says "the country in which an album was released".

Re: What is a release country?

It's pretty much exactly that. For physical releases, it's basically the place where this specific version of the release is intended to be sold (of course I can purchase, say, a special Japanese edition of a release on the internet, but the intended release market is still Japan, for example). For digital, it's usually [worldwide] if there are no restrictions on download (bandcamp, the artist's own site, the Internet Archive, many stores). If there are restrictions (like with iTunes releases, which are only available in a certain number of countries) then it's not really [worldwide] anymore - people tend to just pick one country where it's available (often the artist's country) but in theory it'd be correct to add every country where it's for sale, and some releases we have actually do that and list all 30+ countries - it looks a bit silly though.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM, Staffan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Over at https://musicbrainz.org/edit/34494044 there is a discussion going on about how to determine the release country.
https://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Release_Country don't give much help as it only says "the country in which an album was released".

countries - it looks a bit silly though.
I've always added iTunes releases as [worldwide], unless the release is a country-specific one. I've always regarded [worldwide] as meaning available in a significant number of countries, across continents. I'd be surprised if there were any release that was truly released in every country in the world. Nor, as you said, is it practical to add a release event for each country when there is a significant number.

Re: What is a release country?

Trevor Downs

> On Aug 12, 2015, at 7:07 AM, lixobix <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote
>> If there are restrictions (like with iTunes releases, which are only
>> available
>> in a certain number of countries) then it's not really [worldwide] anymore
>> - people tend to just pick one country where it's available (often the
>> artist's country) but in theory it'd be correct to add every country where
>> it's for sale, and some releases we have actually do that and list all 30+
>> countries - it looks a bit silly though.
>
> I've always added iTunes releases as [worldwide], unless the release is a
> country-specific one. I've always regarded [worldwide] as meaning available
> in a significant number of countries, across continents. I'd be surprised if
> there were any release that was truly released in every country in the
> world. Nor, as you said, is it practical to add a release event for each
> country when there is a significant number.

The release documentation should be updated to mention that online releases without region-locking should be set to [worldwide].

I’ve created a ticket to revise the documentation: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-8519

Re: What is a release country?

Jazzy Jarilith
The release country depends on the deal the aritst has reached with the label. But nowadays, it might be complicated to find out. With online mail-order, everything can be found pretty much everywhere anyways.