Where to add the recording date?

MeinDummy
Hi,

if the date, the recording location and the corresponding work are known for a particular recording there are 2 or 3 possible places where the date could be added:
- as begin and end date of the work-recording AR
- as begin and end date of the place-recording AR
- to the disambiguation comment of a live recording as described in https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording , Live recordings section

Which one of these places is preferred? Or should the same date be added everywhere?

Cheers,

Christian (MD)

Re: Where to add the recording date?

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM, MeinDummy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

if the date, the recording location and the corresponding work are known for
a particular recording there are 2 or 3 possible places where the date could
be added:
- as begin and end date of the work-recording AR
- as begin and end date of the place-recording AR
- to the disambiguation comment of a live recording as described in
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording , Live recordings section

Which one of these places is preferred? Or should the same date be added
everywhere?

I've been adding it everywhere... including every single performer rel, too. We could probably use a better place though. Or well, a single place at least.

Re: Where to add the recording date?

tommycrock

On 15 Sep 2014 13:17, "Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM, MeinDummy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> if the date, the recording location and the corresponding work are known for
>> a particular recording there are 2 or 3 possible places where the date could
>> be added:
>> - as begin and end date of the work-recording AR
>> - as begin and end date of the place-recording AR
>> - to the disambiguation comment of a live recording as described in
>> https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording , Live recordings section
>>
>> Which one of these places is preferred? Or should the same date be added
>> everywhere?
>

> I've been adding it everywhere... including every single performer rel, too. We could probably use a better place though. Or well, a single place at least.

I also add it in all those places (but only a live comment if it's actually live of course). Different dates have the potential to be useful where eg guitar recorded there and then, drums here and now. Also there is sometimes no work to link to (for eg crowd noise, tuning) BTW if it's performed live and then mixed on a different date I stick with performance date for recording - work rel.
But Reo is right, and in the long-term n-ary relationships seem the solution, but I wonder if/how much events will be able to be used for some of this?

Re: Where to add the recording date?

Lemire, Sebastien-2

Yeah I brought this up too when the places got added to MB. It makes no sense adding it everywhere, if there's a mistake editing is a major PIA.

The way I see it though, if we'd have a single location, it can't really be at as begin and end date of the place-recording AR since there's many instances where we don't know the place (or not readily available at first) but we have the date. We can't use this AR without a place...

Sébastien

On Sep 15, 2014 8:17 AM, "Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:04 PM, MeinDummy <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

if the date, the recording location and the corresponding work are known for
a particular recording there are 2 or 3 possible places where the date could
be added:
- as begin and end date of the work-recording AR
- as begin and end date of the place-recording AR
- to the disambiguation comment of a live recording as described in
https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Recording , Live recordings section

Which one of these places is preferred? Or should the same date be added
everywhere?

I've been adding it everywhere... including every single performer rel, too. We could probably use a better place though. Or well, a single place at least.

Re: Where to add the recording date?

Robert Bihlmeyer
Am 2014-09-15 14:44, schrieb Lemire, Sebastien:
> Yeah I brought this up too when the places got added to MB. It makes no
> sense adding it everywhere, if there's a mistake editing is a major PIA.
Agreed.
> The way I see it though, if we'd have a single location, it can't really be
> at as begin and end date of the place-recording AR since there's many
> instances where we don't know the place (or not readily available at first)
> but we have the date. We can't use this AR without a place...
There is an [unknown] place. There are examples of "recorded at
[unknown] (SOMEDATE)", e.g.
https://musicbrainz.org/recording/2ab221c5-304c-4245-8a4b-72fb678e783f
as well as "recorded by [unknown] (SOMEDATE)", e.g.
https://musicbrainz.org/recording/e1453d17-8aca-4cde-a79e-8fd17f3a46a7
in the database. Both are seldom used, with the former being a bit more
popular.

All in all, I don't think that this is a strong point against
standardising on hanging the date on the place AR.

Robbe

Re: Where to add the recording date?

lixobix
Just to bring this up again, I reckon that recordings could do with dedicated date and type fields. That would at least remove the data from the disambiguation field, and would allow for more sorting options if / when better sorting is implemented in future.

Re: Where to add the recording date?

Crystal Hamaker
I would appreciate assistance please. I work for 3 independent bands and one solo musician. I was able to enter the solo musician Josh Stone's first two albums but apparently did it wrong and was rescued by an editor at that time. However I need to get two of the other bands into MusicBrainz and add music for Josh Stone and need help doing so please?

Thank you,
Crystal Hamaker,
Owner, MojoRadio
Owner, Struckgold Music