XSPF support for video chapters or index points within songs/media?

XSPF support for video chapters or index points within songs/media?

Eric Shattow-2
I have begun a project to archive my old CD albums. An interesting challenge arises from how to store this audio information.

An example as most players work now:
- foo.ogg  /  "The entire movie foo"

How I would like to add items to a playlist in the future:
- bar.ogg(1:00:5.4 - 1:12:7.0) / "My favorite part of the car chase scene from movie bar"
- blue.flac(0:29:56 - 0:29:16) / "Holiday by weezer only 20 seconds for ringtone"

Is XSPF suitable for use with a media player that completely disconnects the playlist entry for a "song" or "movie" from the notion of a "file"?

Re: XSPF support for video chapters or index points within songs/media?

Saoshyant
Sorry for the late reply, but this managed to escape my attention.

On 1/20/08, Eric Shattow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is XSPF suitable for use with a media player that completely disconnects the
> playlist entry for a "song" or "movie" from the notion of a "file"?

The short answer is: no.  If the audio and image are stuck in one
file, there is nothing a playlist can do to help.

-Ivo

Re: XSPF support for video chapters or index points within songs/media?

Sebastian Pipping
I've been collecting a few ideas about a subsong/chapter concept.
Let me present three possible approaches for an XSPF extension
introducing this feature.  Feedback appreciated.

== Approaches ==
1. Tracks referencing container slices
2. XSPF in XSPF
3. Same track multiple times, different slice

== 1. Tracks referencing container slices ==

=== Properties ===
- "Ignorant" XSPF processors will not find any locations
- Feels like a "normal" playlist mainly
- Supports arbitrary placement of subsongs in the playlist
- <location> element forbidden for <track>s referencing a container

=== Example ===
<playlist ...>
  <extension ...>
    <container>
      <location>...</location>
      <location>...</location>
      <slice xml:id="1">5000</slice>
      <slice xml:id="2">10000</slice>
    </container>
  </extension>
  <trackList>
    <track>
      <extension ...>
        <parent slice="1">
      </extension>
    </track>
  </trackList>
</playlist>

== 2. XSPF in XSPF ==

=== Properties ===
- "Ignorant" XSPF processors will understand it as a single track
- Poeple don't have to learn anything new
- Does not allow arbitrary placement of subsongs in the playlist
- <duration> element mandatory for sub songs
- <location> element forbidden for sub songs

=== Questions ===
- Should track attributes inherited?

=== Example ===
<track>
  <location>...</location>
  <extension ...>
    <track>
      <location>...</location>
      <identifier>...</identifier>
      <duration>...</duration>
    </track>
    <track>
      <duration>...</duration>
    </track>
  </extension>
</track>

== 3. Same track multiple times, different slice ==

=== Properties ===
- "Ignorant" XSPF processors will understand it as
  "the whole thing" several times
- Supports overlapping and skipping of track slices
- Supports arbitrary placement of subsongs in the playlist
- Redundancy on locations
- Alternative locations put extra burdon on XSPF processor

=== Example ===
<track>
  <location>...</location>
  <extension ...>