'a:hover colour' in the site redesign

Pavan Chander
Hi all,

I would like to make some minor changes to the hover colour and underlines of links and editable fields. I'm proposing we use the standard blue/underline for 'a:hover' on all pages, and orange/no-underline for '.overlay:hover' (the editable fields in the release editor).

As with pretty much any design choice, what looks good and what looks bad is subjective, so the following are my opinions on the matter.

The pros:
1) Links, and their hover colour, become consistent with a considerable portion of the rest of the internet - and by extension, text content on the site becomes "cleaner" and not as "loud".
2) Editable fields in the release editor are immediately distinguishable from links that would navigate the user away from the editor.

The cons:
1) The design is less MB-esque because of the orange reduction, (however, the redesign as a whole uses less orange causing the current 'a:hover colour' to really stand out - in a not-so-good way).

There were some explanations/discussions on IRC about this ([1] [2]) ending with Rob suggesting that I post on the mailing list to get a broader response. To help illustrate the difference I did a little mockup of how the release editor would look like with my changes [3].

Awaiting your thoughts,

Pavan Chander // navap

Re: 'a:hover colour' in the site redesign

Nikolai Prokoschenko
Administrator
Hi Pavan,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 01:29, Pavan Chander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to make some minor changes to the hover colour and underlines
> of links and editable fields. I'm proposing we use the standard
> blue/underline for 'a:hover' on all pages, and orange/no-underline for
> '.overlay:hover' (the editable fields in the release editor).

I have some kind of difficulty actually finding the difference between
test.mb.org and your proposal. Basically, your test page lacks
underlining for a:hover, but I don't consider it a better alternative
either (you are also missing the "hand" mouse icon on hover and also
the colon in the CD title changes color on hover while it shouldn't).
I would prefer a background color change in the whole row, like in the
"row highlighting" example at
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_highlighting.html
with an ability to actually click on the whole row, not just on the
text. That background color could be orangy. Having said that, I don't
think that blue is needed for links in this situation -- it's
disturbing color-wise and doesn't actually hint me about its link
nature. I'd like it to become black again :)

Nikolai.

Re: 'a:hover colour' in the site redesign

Pavan Chander
After typing up a long and boring reply I decided to take a quick look at the release editor...

It turns out that my patch was already applied - making this email exchange pointless and I think quite confusing for both us.

For anyone interested there was a short discussion between Nikolai and myself in which we decided that everything looks good and that we should move on to other matters. http://chatlogs.musicbrainz.org/musicbrainz-devel/2010/2010-01/2010-01-10.html#T03-40-09-354791

Pavan Chander