[classical] schumann symphonies with mahler orchestration and/or other variations.

[classical] schumann symphonies with mahler orchestration and/or other variations.

lorenz pressler
currently the symphonies my schumann seem to be badly merged with different revisions and orchestrations mixed together.. is there any expert on schumann around who can help clean this up? i only found very sparse info on the net and i'm not familiar enough with these to do some serious edits.

best, lorenz.

Re: [classical] schumann symphonies with mahler orchestration and/or other variations.

Andrew Conkling
I'm willing to help in some capacity but I'm no expert either. Do you
have some context for what you're looking at?

Andrew Conkling
http://andrewski.net

Am 10.05.2012, 04:47 Uhr, schrieb Andrew Conkling <[hidden email]>:

> I'm willing to help in some capacity but I'm no expert either. Do you
> have some context for what you're looking at?

i was just curious if anyone had an idea what different version there are
out there. the 4th is present in two different states by schumann himself
a (unknown?) first version from 1841 and the later revised from 1851. in
letters from brahms to clara schumann, brahms states to her that he likes
the first version much better than the latter one and urges to publish the
first version also. i don't know if the first version is available now and
if it it had been ever performed/recorded.
for all 4 symphonies there exists apparently a version orchestrated by
mahler [1] which i don't know anything about.
and afair also brahms provided orchestration for some/all? symphonies.

i just wanted to create all (worthy) works with proper
annotations/disamb.comment but i'm a bit lost whats really out there and
whats worth creating.

best, lorenz.

[1] http://musicbrainz.org/release/c8db532b-0753-4d66-8825-891cc7be5084

Re: [classical] schumann symphonies with mahler orchestration and/or other variations.

Andrew Conkling
I feel like even if this is possible to figure out easily, it will still fall apart when comparing to existing recordings (where this likely isn't listed very clearly). It may be possible to compare recordings you have, but the differences may be subtle. I know the main set I have mentions that the conductor (George Szell) tweaked the orchestration (as it mentions he does in Brahms works also) to balance the orchestra, but it's not described anywhere else which edition he's using.