database of works of music

Gabriel Striewe
Hello!

I am working on a program which is at the moment more of a "scratch one's own
itch". It is a tool for musicians to keep track of their repertoire, make
recordings and tag them appropriately, keep track of one's CDs and rip them to
flac to be able to compare them with one's own recordings (all this within the
legal limits).

All this is mostly within classical music.

I use internally an musicbrainz id (MBID) to identify the composers, for
example for Beethoven: 1f9df192-a621-4f54-8850-2c5373b7eac9

From this mbid I derive birth and death of the composers through the web
service.

I would not like to reinvent the wheel and was wondering whether there was
already a database of classical pieces with a webservice which I could use or
whether musicbrainz is planning apart from being a database of recordings to
also be a database of pieces of classical music ever written.

If ever I would have to setup such a database, I would like to do so as close to
musicbrainz as possible.

Regards,

Gabriel

Re: database of works of music

Ian McEwen
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:06:53AM +0200, Gabriel Striewe wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am working on a program which is at the moment more of a "scratch one's own
> itch". It is a tool for musicians to keep track of their repertoire, make
> recordings and tag them appropriately, keep track of one's CDs and rip them to
> flac to be able to compare them with one's own recordings (all this within the
> legal limits).
>
> All this is mostly within classical music.
>
> I use internally an musicbrainz id (MBID) to identify the composers, for
> example for Beethoven: 1f9df192-a621-4f54-8850-2c5373b7eac9
>
> From this mbid I derive birth and death of the composers through the web
> service.
>
> I would not like to reinvent the wheel and was wondering whether there was
> already a database of classical pieces with a webservice which I could use or
> whether musicbrainz is planning apart from being a database of recordings to
> also be a database of pieces of classical music ever written.

MusicBrainz has had an entity for works since our major schema change
'NGS' in May 2011, so presumably the answer is just to use MusicBrainz
itself :)

For example,
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/1f9df192-a621-4f54-8850-2c5373b7eac9/works
and
http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/work?artist=1f9df192-a621-4f54-8850-2c5373b7eac9

This is subject to all our usual sets of parameters for the webservice,
of course, and is present in the appropriate database dumps.

Though they're newer, in some cases we have series entities for
catalogues of works -- but since series were just added last schema
change (in May) there's less data there to use. For example, Beethoven's
catalogue for some reason only has two entities linked right now:
http://musicbrainz.org/series/88b7ea43-e09e-45b7-8cca-ee7b163024c8 -- an
example with more data is Buxtehude's work catalogue:
http://musicbrainz.org/series/0790fa51-15d9-40a2-bca9-9c8eaaa96bef (and
several others, I know reosarevok has been working on these).