i18n.mbsandbox.org updated

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

i18n.mbsandbox.org updated

Ian McEwen
nikki and I have updated i18n.mbsandbox.org with a (tentative) version
of my changes to the server for supporting new domains, thereby
unbreaking the automatic updating (which hadn't been working correctly
for a bit); we also added a few languages.

If anything looks funny, or if we missed something, don't hesitate to
tell me. Thanks, and thanks for your hard work translating!

--
Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i18n.mbsandbox.org updated

Mihkel Tõnnov

2012/6/8 Ian McEwen <[hidden email]>
nikki and I have updated i18n.mbsandbox.org with a (tentative) version
of my changes to the server for supporting new domains, thereby
unbreaking the automatic updating (which hadn't been working correctly
for a bit); we also added a few languages.

If anything looks funny, or if we missed something, don't hesitate to
tell me. Thanks, and thanks for your hard work translating!

Hi Nikki, Ian, *,

Thanks for making the autoupdating work -- it's really good to see translated strings go live so quickly :) 

A few comments, too.
1) Strings where the original has non-ASCII characters seem to not get translated ("Norwegian Bokmål", "Réunion Creole French" come to mind).

2) Tabs on http://i18n.mbsandbox.org/statistics are untranslated/untranslatable.

3) Would it be possible to separate strings that are used in different contexts? The situation is especially bad (l10n-wise) with words used both as a noun and a verb in English (like the string "Tag" in server domain), and in some languages (like my native Estonian) it would be nice to be able to also differentiate between buttons or menu commands ("Log In" -> "Logi sisse") and page titles ("Log In" -> "Sisselogimine").

Best regards,
Mihkel

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: i18n.mbsandbox.org updated

Ian McEwen
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 08:33:53PM +0300, Mihkel Tõnnov wrote:

> 2012/6/8 Ian McEwen <[hidden email]>
>
> > nikki and I have updated i18n.mbsandbox.org with a (tentative) version
> > of my changes to the server for supporting new domains, thereby
> > unbreaking the automatic updating (which hadn't been working correctly
> > for a bit); we also added a few languages.
> >
> > If anything looks funny, or if we missed something, don't hesitate to
> > tell me. Thanks, and thanks for your hard work translating!
> >
>
> Hi Nikki, Ian, *,
>
> Thanks for making the autoupdating work -- it's really good to see
> translated strings go live so quickly :)
>
> A few comments, too.
> 1) Strings where the original has non-ASCII characters seem to not get
> translated ("Norwegian Bokmål", "Réunion Creole French" come to mind).
>
Indeed. We have a lurking problem with that; I'll be looking into
solutions shortly. In short, it's because currently we're using the
pure-perl gettext module, which deals with non-ASCII poorly -- but the
alternative has other potential problems.

> 2) Tabs on http://i18n.mbsandbox.org/statistics are
> untranslated/untranslatable.
>

Noted. In the future, for such things, it's possible to just make a
ticket and put it in the "Internationalization" component for such
untranslatable chunks. I'll do it for this one though (especially since
it's my fault :P) [http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-4875]

> 3) Would it be possible to separate strings that are used in different
> contexts? The situation is especially bad (l10n-wise) with words used both
> as a noun and a verb in English (like the string "Tag" in server domain),
> and in some languages (like my native Estonian) it would be nice to be able
> to also differentiate between buttons or menu commands ("Log In" -> "Logi
> sisse") and page titles ("Log In" -> "Sisselogimine").
>

That could be arranged. I think currently the extraction scripts don't
match lp(), but they can be made to. If you could note things you'd like
on the ticket for this [http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-4876]
it'd be much appreciated.

> Best regards,
> Mihkel

> _______________________________________________
> MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n


--
Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment