languages

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

languages

Ian McEwen
Nikki and I have been discussing removing some of the unused, obscure languages from the .pot files. Specifically, we'd be keeping everything where the frequency is greater than 0 (so, anything that's used) as well as everything that has an iso_code_2t code, whether or not it's used. This keeps languages that might be used in historical data but have since been disabled (though as far as we know this only applies to Moldovan) while trimming a huge number of unlikely-to-ever-get-used ISO 639-3 language codes.

What would people think of this?

--
Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: languages

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Ian McEwen
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nikki and I have been discussing removing some of the unused, obscure languages from the .pot files. Specifically, we'd be keeping everything where the frequency is greater than 0 (so, anything that's used) as well as everything that has an iso_code_2t code, whether or not it's used. This keeps languages that might be used in historical data but have since been disabled (though as far as we know this only applies to Moldovan) while trimming a huge number of unlikely-to-ever-get-used ISO 639-3 language codes.
>
> What would people think of this?

How easy is it to get the stuff back in the .pot files later? Does it
need a server release? (it'd be a bit annoying to be able to activate
a language on the fly, but translate it only after 2 weeks).

Apart from that, it sounds sensible.
> --
> Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
> http://ianmcorvidae.net/
>
> _______________________________________________
> MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n



--
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: languages

Ian McEwen
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:05:51PM +0300, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Ian McEwen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Nikki and I have been discussing removing some of the unused, obscure languages from the .pot files. Specifically, we'd be keeping everything where the frequency is greater than 0 (so, anything that's used) as well as everything that has an iso_code_2t code, whether or not it's used. This keeps languages that might be used in historical data but have since been disabled (though as far as we know this only applies to Moldovan) while trimming a huge number of unlikely-to-ever-get-used ISO 639-3 language codes.
> >
> > What would people think of this?
>
> How easy is it to get the stuff back in the .pot files later? Does it
> need a server release? (it'd be a bit annoying to be able to activate
> a language on the fly, but translate it only after 2 weeks).
>
It'd require updating the .pot files; at present we don't really have a process for when that happens, so for now I think it's safe to say it can happen at the top of the hour after whatever language gets enabled -- as soon as replicated servers have it so we don't need production access to generate the .pot.

(Note: I may be sending email here/mb-devel/etc. at some point about the question of when to regenerate the .pot files as well, though at present I'm leaning to "build from beta, regenerate at beta freeze and whenever there are database changes that should be translated")

> Apart from that, it sounds sensible.
> > --
> > Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> > A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
> > http://ianmcorvidae.net/
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n
>
>
>
> --
> Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
>
> _______________________________________________
> MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n
--
Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F
http://ianmcorvidae.net/

_______________________________________________
MusicBrainz-i18n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.musicbrainz.org/mailman/listinfo/musicbrainz-i18n

attachment0 (205 bytes) Download Attachment