[mb-users] Re: Problem with advanced relationship

[mb-users] Re: Problem with advanced relationship

Alexander Dupuy
Dainis wrote:

>I wanted to create relationship between artist "Uldis Vanags":
>  http://www.musicbrainz.org/showartist.html?artistid=247811
>and album "Spēka dziesmas":
>  http://www.musicbrainz.org/showalbum.html?albumid=348238
>On this album he performs both keyboards and trumpet. I had no problem to add first artist-album relationship:
>  http://www.musicbrainz.org/mod/link/edit_link.html?type=album-artist&id=2692
>but when I wanted to add the other relationship with trumpet the MB silently ignores it. It should be possible that one artist performs more than one instrument per album or track.
>Is it MB bug?

This is not an intended behavior per se, but is an (I think) known
awkwardness or limitation of the current implementation, where
instruments are attributes of the "performs" relationship.  For a given
link type, there can be only one instance of the relationship for two
entities "Uldis Vanags" and "Speka dziesmas".  Rather than trying to
create a new performs relationship, can you try editing the existing one
and selecting an additional instrument?

Even if that approach doesn't work right now, by editing the link types,
we could perhaps make it work.

@alex

Re: [mb-users] Re: Problem with advanced relationship

g0llum

That's the current way to do it. there's the link "add another
instrument", which one can use to add another instrument to the
*same* performs relationship (same for the performed vocals)
i know, because i'm currently adding some extended functionality
to this part of the AR interface.

I think it's a design issue that you receive no feedback if
you try to add an existing relationship type to a entity-pair.
(it should suggest you rather edit the existing, instead of
just ignore the operation...)

stefan

Re: [mb-users] Re: Problem with advanced relationship

Thomas Tholén
Related bug that I never bothered to report before: It only seems (for me
anyway) like it's possible to make a relationship with at most two
instruments. And when editing it only seems like it's possible to add one
instrument at a time, then wait for it to go through, and then add another
one. Anyone else saw this? More information needed?

//[bnw]

> This is not an intended behavior per se, but is an (I think) known
> awkwardness or limitation of the current implementation, where
> instruments are attributes of the "performs" relationship.  For a given
> link type, there can be only one instance of the relationship for two
> entities "Uldis Vanags" and "Speka dziesmas".  Rather than trying to
> create a new performs relationship, can you try editing the existing one
> and selecting an additional instrument?
>
> Even if that approach doesn't work right now, by editing the link types,
> we could perhaps make it work.
>
> @alex

[mb-users] Proposed soundtrack style

Dylan Steinberg
An initial proposal for Soundtrack guidelines has been added to the Wiki
at http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/wiki.pl?SoundtrackStyle.  Discussion and
additions are encouraged.

--Dylan (steinbdj)