picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

Grant-2
I have "Replace Windows-incompatible characters" checked in
picard-2.0, but it isn't replacing the double-quotes found on these
songs:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/abe3c3f6-f7af-4c97-aadf-e9fafeba7532

They look like a different sort of double-quote than the ordinary one.
 Any ideas?

- Grant

Re: picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have "Replace Windows-incompatible characters" checked in
picard-2.0, but it isn't replacing the double-quotes found on these
songs:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/abe3c3f6-f7af-4c97-aadf-e9fafeba7532

They look like a different sort of double-quote than the ordinary one.
 Any ideas?

Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to use only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.

- Grant

Re: picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

rappard
Those look like opening and closing quotation marks (&#8220; and
&#8221;) as opposed to the normal apostrophe (&#0022;).

--Martin (the typography nerd ;-))

On 24 August 2012 16:31, Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have "Replace Windows-incompatible characters" checked in
> picard-2.0, but it isn't replacing the double-quotes found on these
> songs:
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/release/abe3c3f6-f7af-4c97-aadf-e9fafeba7532
>
> They look like a different sort of double-quote than the ordinary one.
>  Any ideas?
>
> - Grant

Re: picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

Grant-2
>> I have "Replace Windows-incompatible characters" checked in
>> picard-2.0, but it isn't replacing the double-quotes found on these
>> songs:
>>
>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/abe3c3f6-f7af-4c97-aadf-e9fafeba7532
>>
>> They look like a different sort of double-quote than the ordinary one.
>>  Any ideas?
>

> Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with
> Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to use
> only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.

I use Gentoo but my Sansa Clip+ is only compatible with FAT32 so I
need Windows compatibility for that.  I actually have "Replace
non-ASCI characters" checked as well.  Must be a bug?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have "Replace Windows-incompatible characters" checked in
>> picard-2.0, but it isn't replacing the double-quotes found on these
>> songs:
>>
>> http://musicbrainz.org/release/abe3c3f6-f7af-4c97-aadf-e9fafeba7532
>>
>> They look like a different sort of double-quote than the ordinary one.
>>  Any ideas?
>

> Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with
> Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to use
> only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.

I use Gentoo but my Sansa Clip+ is only compatible with FAT32 so I
need Windows compatibility for that.  I actually have "Replace
non-ASCI characters" checked as well.  Must be a bug?

That probably *should* do it (but maybe doesn't right now), but I was thinking of "Convert unicode punctuation..." in the Metadata menu.

- Grant

Re: picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

Grant-2

>> > Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with
>> > Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to
>> > use
>> > only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.
>>
>> I use Gentoo but my Sansa Clip+ is only compatible with FAT32 so I
>> need Windows compatibility for that.  I actually have "Replace
>> non-ASCI characters" checked as well.  Must be a bug?
>

> That probably *should* do it (but maybe doesn't right now), but I was
> thinking of "Convert unicode punctuation..." in the Metadata menu.

But that only applies to metadata, not filenames, right?  If so, I
think it wouldn't help in this situation.

- Grant

Re: picard-2.0 using double-quotes in filename

Grant-2

>> > Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with
>> > Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to
>> > use
>> > only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.
>>
>> I use Gentoo but my Sansa Clip+ is only compatible with FAT32 so I
>> need Windows compatibility for that.  I actually have "Replace
>> non-ASCI characters" checked as well.  Must be a bug?
>

> That probably *should* do it (but maybe doesn't right now), but I was
> thinking of "Convert unicode punctuation..." in the Metadata menu.

Should I file a bug?

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yeah, they're typographically-correct quotes, are they incompatible with
>> > Windows filenames? In any case, there's an option somewhere in Picard to
>> > use
>> > only ASCII punctuation, if you can't or don't want to use them.
>>
>> I use Gentoo but my Sansa Clip+ is only compatible with FAT32 so I
>> need Windows compatibility for that.  I actually have "Replace
>> non-ASCI characters" checked as well.  Must be a bug?
>

> That probably *should* do it (but maybe doesn't right now), but I was
> thinking of "Convert unicode punctuation..." in the Metadata menu.

Should I file a bug?

If the "convert to ASCII" option is saving non-ASCII quotes, I guess so, yeah (if there's a reason for it, that'll make the devs see it and tell us)

- Grant