.pot file update, and other notes

Ian McEwen
.pot files have been updated, just normal code changes except for one bit, which is that for some obscure reasons related to testing well-formedness of HTML5 we changed a bunch of things that had – —   or » in them. I've created a migration script, so your old translations shouldn't be lost, but don't be confused if you see – (ndash), — (mdash), or   (nbsp) now while translating. Sorry for any confusion this potentially causes, and thanks for translating!

Feel free to pester me if anything looks weird, as always.

--
Ian McEwen <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
A262 D5C4 40CB 0E1C 5F24 C3A1 ABED 1ABD 7131 A76F

Re: .pot file update, and other notes

Mihkel Tõnnov
2012/11/28 Ian McEwen <[hidden email]>
.pot files have been updated, just normal code changes except for one bit, which is that for some obscure reasons related to testing well-formedness of HTML5 we changed a bunch of things that had &ndash; &mdash; &nbsp; or &raquo; in them. I've created a migration script, so your old translations shouldn't be lost, but don't be confused if you see &#x2013; (ndash), &#x2014; (mdash), or &#xa0; (nbsp) now while translating. Sorry for any confusion this potentially causes, and thanks for translating!

Is it okay to still use e.g. &nbsp; in translation? Or should I use the literal character (" ") instead, like with "–", "—" etc.?

Mihkel

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 03:24:19PM +0200, Mihkel Tõnnov wrote:
> 2012/11/28 Ian McEwen <[hidden email]>
>
> Is it okay to still use e.g. &nbsp; in translation? Or should I use the
> literal character (" ") instead, like with "–", "—" etc.?
>
> Mihkel

Since at present we don't run tests with translations on, it should be fine to use &nbsp; if you'd like -- if you want to be consistent with the original, use the numerical escapes for potentially unclear characters (&#xa0; for nbsp, &#x2013; for ndash, &#x2014; for mdash) and unicode characters for anything easily distinguished (e.g. raquo). nbsp, especially, is pretty hard to tell apart from a plain space, hence using the escape.