re-using individual discs in a release

Frederic Da Vitoria
Hello

I have a release which is made of 2 discs which were issued separately. My release has it's own barcode, it is not just two jewel cases in a bigger cardboard sleeve. But the discs seem completely identical to the ones issued separately, same track listings, both are immediately recognized by Picard.

here are the separate releases
  http://musicbrainz.org/release/21c80d7a-fc7e-4f02-a971-3e577a005ca6
  http://musicbrainz.org/release/87d92d71-f220-4c1f-b339-0db68cbbfa3f

I guess I should enter a separate Release Group. But should I create manually duplicates of my release or is there a way to say each of those discs belong to 2 release groups? If I must create duplicates, how can I attach the fingerprints to my discs?

Re: re-using individual discs in a release

RocknRollArchivist
Hi,
IMO, all these releases (two one-disc and one two-disc) should be in same RG. This case is not yet envisaged by the guidelines, but it seems be logical. Look, e.g., the RG composed (by common agreement of the stakeholders) by one 6-CD release, six one-disc releases and one two-disc release:
http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/7128e63c-0c0e-3042-95d6-30a02b5e48ad
I hope this solution will not be rejected by the community ;-))

And no problem with the Picard. Yes, it suggests an existing release, but when you select "Lookup manually" and next do not accept a suggested CD, you can attach this ID to another CD.
Valeriy Orlov
(RocknRollArchivist)

2012/12/22 RocknRollArchivist <[hidden email]>
Hi,
IMO, all these releases (two one-disc and one two-disc) should be in same
RG. This case is not yet envisaged by the guidelines, but it seems be
logical. Look, e.g., the RG composed (by common agreement of the
stakeholders) by one 6-CD release, six one-disc releases and one two-disc
release:
http://musicbrainz.org/release-group/7128e63c-0c0e-3042-95d6-30a02b5e48ad
I hope this solution will not be rejected by the community ;-))

And no problem with the Picard. Yes, it suggests an existing release, but
when you select "Lookup manually" and next do not accept a suggested CD, you
can attach this ID to another CD.

Hm, I'm not sure about your single RG idea: the individual releases were issued on different years. This would mean merging two separate RGs into one which would contain the separately issued single disc releases and my 2-discs release. Unless someone can find an indication that the artist or the editor thought from the beginning that the single releases were linked together.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Frederic Da Vitoria <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

I have a release which is made of 2 discs which were issued separately. My release has it's own barcode, it is not just two jewel cases in a bigger cardboard sleeve. But the discs seem completely identical to the ones issued separately, same track listings, both are immediately recognized by Picard.

here are the separate releases
  http://musicbrainz.org/release/21c80d7a-fc7e-4f02-a971-3e577a005ca6
  http://musicbrainz.org/release/87d92d71-f220-4c1f-b339-0db68cbbfa3f

I guess I should enter a separate Release Group. But should I create manually duplicates of my release or is there a way to say each of those discs belong to 2 release groups? If I must create duplicates, how can I attach the fingerprints to my discs?

You can reuse the discs by using the Add Disc button on the tracklist tab of the release editor, and selecting "existing tracklist" (or however it's called).