tracklist of a single piece release, part numbers

e-o

tracklist of a single piece release, part numbers

e-o
Dear musicbrainz users,

I have some trouble interpreting the style guidelines.

It's about this CD
http://pool-musik.com/schiller/product_info.php?products_id=98
and this edit https://musicbrainz.org/edit/25987945.

As I see it, the CD contains a single piece of music called "Die
Einlassmusik 7" which has several parts (1-8).

However, on the back of the official CD cover only the part numbers are
written ("Teil" is the German word for "part").
I.e. the tracklist printed there reads:

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part VIII

just as on the webpage.

It is unclear to me if the tracklist of a release in musicbrainz should
contain the titles as printed on the back of the CD case or if it should
read the title of the piece of music on the CD.

To be more specific, should the tracklist read
***
Teil I
Teil II
Teil VIII
***
or should it read
***
Die Einlassmusik 7, Teil I
Die Einlassmusik 7, Teil VIII
***
?

The style guidelines says
"Note that if the title of a track is just “Part 1” or similar then this
guideline should not apply, because then “Part 1” is considered being
the Main Title of the track and not the Part Number."
(http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Titles/Part_numbers)
However, in this case "Teil I" doesn't seem to be the main title of the
piece. In my opinion the main title is "Die Einlassmusik 7" and just got
skipped on the tracklist printed on the CD for design reasons and
because it is redundant.

In classical music having a piece filling a whole CD is more common so
it seems appropriate to me to proceed as in one of the examples from the
classical style guidelines:

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Classical/Release/Title
example: Symphony no. 14, op. 135
(http://musicbrainz.org/release/08777f96-ce99-467d-a00f-6dc99a17cfca)

Do I misinterpret the rules?
I would be very thankful for opinions on this.

Cheers,

e-o

Re: tracklist of a single piece release, part numbers

Frederic Da Vitoria
2014/1/24 e-o <[hidden email]>
[...]

I agree the documentation could be read at least ways. I wish there it included an example about how to handle titles such as the one you found.