[untitled] in other languages

monxton
If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
other than English, how should we enter this?

For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
doesn't seem to address this.

Re: [untitled] in other languages

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren
On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 5:35 AM, monxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
> other than English, how should we enter this?
>
> For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
> are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
> the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
> Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?
>
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
> doesn't seem to address this.

I would standardise them, as that would later allow for all of them to
be displayed in the user's language once we allow for different
languages in MB. But I don't know if everybody feels like that.

Re: [untitled] in other languages

Mihkel Tõnnov
2011/12/31 monxton <[hidden email]>
If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
other than English, how should we enter this?

For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
doesn't seem to address this.

I'd use [untitled] if the listed track titles are in English. If all the listed titles are in Irish, I'd use [gan ainm] (and for other languages, their respective term). If the tracklist is in several languages, possibly by several artists, I'd use the artist's native language.

Best regards,
Mihkel / mihhkel

On 31/12/2011 03:35, monxton wrote:

> If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
> other than English, how should we enter this?
>
> For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
> are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
> the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
> Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?
>
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
> doesn't seem to address this.

So, a tentative agreement that there should be some square bracket
notation, but one suggestion that ideally it should be in the user's
language and one that it should be in the artist's language. I'll try
the latter next time I'm editing a relevant release.

On 03/01/2012 10:04, monxton wrote:

> On 31/12/2011 03:35, monxton wrote:
>> If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
>> other than English, how should we enter this?
>>
>> For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
>> are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
>> the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
>> Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?
>>
>> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
>>
>> doesn't seem to address this.
>
> So, a tentative agreement that there should be some square bracket
> notation, but one suggestion that ideally it should be in the user's
> language and one that it should be in the artist's language. I'll try
> the latter next time I'm editing a relevant release.

Attempting to resurrect this thread for discussion about
http://musicbrainz.org/edit/21419599

Re: [untitled] in other languages

monxton
monxton wrote
On 31/12/2011 03:35, monxton wrote:
> If the liner notes say a track is untitled but say so in a language
> other than English, how should we enter this?
>
> For example, there are approx. 75 recordings entitled Gan Ainm, or which
> are a set of tunes including Gan Ainm, or Ril Gan Ainm. In most cases
> the other tunes in the set have English names, e.g. "The Mason's Apron /
> Gan Ainm". Should this be changed to "The Mason's Apron / [untitled]" ?
>
> http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/Style/Unknown_and_untitled/Special_purpose_track_title
> doesn't seem to address this.

So, a tentative agreement that there should be some square bracket
notation, but one suggestion that ideally it should be in the user's
language and one that it should be in the artist's language. I'll try
the latter next time I'm editing a relevant release.
Attempting to resurrect this thread for discussion about http://musicbrainz.org/edit/21419599

Tagging info for completeness

Louis LSJ Kruger
Hi,

I would like to tag folders to show whether its complete or incomplete.
With $matchedtracks and %totaltracks% it works for single medium items,
but if one disc is full in a multiple disc set it does not work.  Or is
the solution in a plugin?

Regards,

Louis.

A style question

Louis LSJ Kruger
I now looked at "Paint Your Wagon: Music from the Motion Picture Soundtrack".

I thought that the performing artist would be indicated as the artist of each track, but now the album artist is indicated.

Louis.

Re: A style question

Alex Mauer
On 03/26/2013 04:16 AM, Louis LSJ Kruger wrote:
> I now looked at "Paint Your Wagon: Music from the Motion Picture
> Soundtrack".
>
> I thought that the performing artist would be indicated as the artist of
> each track, but now the album artist is indicated.

It depends on how they are credited on the release.

If the release lists the performers for each track, that should be
listed; otherwise it should be the release artist, or the composer if no
release artist is listed.

See
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Style/Specific_types_of_releases/Soundtrack
for details.

Release Relationships

David Owen
I would like to associate a URL with a release.  The URL is that of the
release publisher.  I have entered it under "discography" as the least
worst fit.  Just wanted to see if I was missing something.  Is there a
better place to add the relationship?  Is it unnecessary? If it is the
current best place, would it be worth trying to add another type for
"Publisher"?  Here's the current Relationships page I am referring to:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/6172afe2-1dfe-467c-8284-ec2810b16db9/relationships

dowen

Re: Release Relationships

jacobbrett
David Owen wrote
I would like to associate a URL with a release.  The URL is that of the
release publisher.  I have entered it under "discography" as the least
worst fit.  Just wanted to see if I was missing something.  Is there a
better place to add the relationship?  Is it unnecessary? If it is the
current best place, would it be worth trying to add another type for
"Publisher"?  Here's the current Relationships page I am referring to:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/6172afe2-1dfe-467c-8284-ec2810b16db9/relationships

dowen

That's the relationship I’ve been using; we could certainly do with one for publishers/labels, though.