work compilations

Frederic Da Vitoria
Hello,

I recently stumbled on edits about the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. I could not find any way to enter this work structure in MB:works which may or may not have been composed by the main work's composer and which are not really of the main work since they were not composed fot the main work, only later collected into it. I could not think of any other example, but I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be any. What do others users think? Is this situation frequent enough to create a new Work_part_of_Work attribute?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notebook_for_Anna_Magdalena_Bach

Re: work compilations

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Frederic Da Vitoria <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I recently stumbled on edits about the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. I could not find any way to enter this work structure in MB:works which may or may not have been composed by the main work's composer and which are not really of the main work since they were not composed fot the main work, only later collected into it. I could not think of any other example, but I can't see any reason why there shouldn't be any. What do others users think? Is this situation frequent enough to create a new Work_part_of_Work attribute?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notebook_for_Anna_Magdalena_Bach

I would probably just use part of work. After all, a fair amount of work collections (N Sonatas, op. X and the like) are probably also only together for publishing reasons and not really written as a set...

Re: work compilations

CallerNo6
At one point I had hoped to extend the defenition of "work (thingies)" to include catalogs and collections. They're perfectly suited to it.

Then I started thinking that, hey, rather than implement "series" as an entity, we could have a more generic "container" element with types like catalog, collection, series.

I still like the second approach, but not enough to mess up the bit of momentum that "series" already has.

Alex / caller#6

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM, caller#6 <[hidden email]> wrote:
At one point I had hoped to extend the defenition of "work (thingies)" to include catalogs and collections. They're perfectly suited to it.

Then I started thinking that, hey, rather than implement "series" as an entity, we could have a more generic "container" element with types like catalog, collection, series.

I still like the second approach, but not enough to mess up the bit of momentum that "series" already has.

Hmm, could you add to the summit page under Series? Seems worth bringing up (I want catalogs .p)